Click on the chosen property on the map for more details
Hillfield Cottages & Country House is a great place for a luxury self catering holiday in Devon to recharge the batteries. Working closely with designers and developers and most importantly putting ourselves ‘in your shoes’ we have created self-catering holiday accommodation with style, luxury and relaxation in mind. 'From that important first impression – as you are welcomed into one of our immaculately presented properties – through to your departure at the end of your stay, we hope to have thought of everything to make your holiday as enjoyable as possible. The comments in our Visitors Book
and high number of repeat bookings certainly suggest so!
Most properties are different but furnished to the highest standards including sumptuous leather settees in all apartments, hand-crafted kitchens, contemporary fully-tiled bathrooms, large flat-screen TV’s and DVD players with cinema surround sound. All beds have high quality memory foam mattresses, many bathrooms include whirlpool baths and one property even has it’s own outdoor Hot Tub and Sauna, on a private decking area! With smaller properties such as Keepers Cottage
, ideal for couples right up to larger cottages sleeping up to 12 such as Court Lodge
, we can accommodate all types of parties, whether you are looking for a short break to ‘recharge those batteries’ or a relaxing week away.
Set in acres of beautiful landscaping and nestling on a secluded South-facing hillside with stunning views across soft rolling hills, Hillfield is the ideal starting point for a number of wonderful local walks, whilst others can take the opportunity to simply relax by the existing outdoor swimming pool or enjoy the children's play area.
With the area boasting the mildest year–round climate on mainland Britain, we are open all year round. Located a short 10 minute drive from the spectacular unspoilt beach at Blackpool Sands
and with miles of fabulous coastline to explore plus local farms and attractions to visit, this really is the perfect destination for a relaxing family holiday, whilst Award-Winning Pubs and Restaurants
, picturesque towns and villages, coastal walking, sailing and other water sports attract visitors of all ages throughout the year. We look forward to welcoming you to Hillfield Cottages and Country House sometime soon.
Hillfield Village Environmental Statement
Most people want their impact on the environment to be as little as possible. So do we. With the environment in mind, we have done many things to make Hillfield Cottages & Country House as environmentally sound, or green, as possible, and offer a truly green holiday. For example, our new properties hot water and heating is generated through a “Geothermal” heat exchanger. The buildings are optimally insulated, using triple glazing in doors and windows, and all materials used for the conversion of the cottages pass high-level environmental standards. Recycling facilities are available on site, and the area can offer you a wide selection of local foods. Not only do the latter reduce food miles, they also taste much better than what you usually get in the shops. If you want a food delivery done, you may wish to consider a local delivery services, offering high quality, often locally sourced, goods. Check out our food for your arrival section on the website.
Hillfield Village Environmental Policy
Hillfield Village is committed to a policy of protecting the local environment through a number of initiatives implemented at the recent new builds and refurbishment of the site. Our aim is to ensure long-term sustainability and to act responsibly to ensure the preservation of the natural beauty of the site, its wildlife and plant life, to minimise use of fossil fuels and water and to reduce the amount of waste generated which cannot be recycled.
1 Double and some triple glazed doors and window to accommodation in the Village.
2 Insulated every loft space
3 The new build accommodation has achieved extremely good results when air and sound tested.
4 The new build accommodation has ground source heat pumps to provide hot water and central heating.
5 All our accommodation were built as holiday cottages - they are not second homes, and there is no planning permission for year-round occupation. Therefore, your stay boosts the local economy without taking accommodation away from local people.
6 Installed rainwater soak a ways to reduce the impact of heavy rainfall on the local streams and rivers.
7 Installed low energy light bulbs wherever possible, including all outdoor lights
8 Replaced all inefficient heaters and oil boilers with more efficient and less polluting central heating systems.
9 Installed an environmental sewage treatment plant with two reed bed filtration beds.
10 Planted over 2000 indigenous new trees, shrubs and garden plants.
11 Planted wildflower area’s to encourage insect and wild animals.
12 Installed timer controls on all outdoor communal lights
13 Outdoor 48’ x 24’ Swimming Pool with a toddler’s paddling pool, opens from June to September. The enclosed South facing position enables the use of passive solar energy to optimise the amount of heat that can be derived directly from the sun. This is a green and clean source of useful “Passive Solar Energy” without the use of active mechanical systems.
14 We have a no smoking policy in all accommodation
15 Replaced our paper based booking system with website based administration.
16 Set up links with local organic food producers to supply our guests.
17 Work closely with local business has to reduce travelling miles.
18 Replaced all detergents and cleaning products with eco-friendly equivalents.
19 Use of environmentally friendly washing powder / conditioner and washing up liquid (provided).
20 Introduced recycling facilities for our own and Guests use. Seventy five percent of all waste generated is now recycled.
21 Replaced all paper products with recycled alternatives.
The following are some of the measures we are implementing:-
1. The establishment of a wildlife nature reserve
2. The addition of bird boxes through out the Village
3. The addition of Bat boxes, maternity units and hotels through out the village.
4. Use of traditional methods in managing hedgerows and field boundaries and new native tree and hedge planting
5. We use peat free compost and wood chip / bark for mulching.
6. We compost all garden waste and grass cuttings.
7. We want you to experience the best the area can offer, so we have web pages with ideas for days out and a diary of events, all within the locality.
8. Provision of visitor information packs on local walks, public transport, and wildlife parks, a wildlife audit showing fauna and flora indigenous to our site, Devon Wildlife Trust events information.
9. Secure dry storage for bicycles
10. Use of traditional building products and methods in the conservation and renovation of the buildings on site
11. Minimising waste by recycling glass, paper, plastic, cardboard, aluminium, iron, food and garden waste
12. Monitoring of energy, waste and water consumption and making energy savings through insulation, use of energy efficient appliances/lighting, provision of a shower for every bedroom en suite.
13. Provision of local menus from nearby pubs and restaurants and details of farmers and other markets providing local produce
14. Using local labour and suppliers and environmentally friendly and traditional products
15. Promotion, use and support of local environmental organisations such as BTCV and Devon Wildlife Trust
16. Ideas for car free days out
17. Rainwater harvesting and rainwater butt.
18. At Hillfields we encourage guests to SWOON - switch off one light now!
We are committed to:
1. Good environmental practice in business activities, minimising harmful effects and maximising the beneficial influences on the environment
2. Complying with environmental laws and fulfilling duty of care requirements for waste disposal
3. We welcome support, participation and suggestions from our customers as to how to continue to improve our environmental policy and protect the environment
How to be a responsible guest;
As a guest at Hillfield Village we ask you to support these initiatives by acting responsibly and implementing the actions listed below;
1 Use water sparingly, e.g. Showering instead of taking a bath when possible.
2 Switching all lights off when not required, especially outside lights.
3 Manage central heating responsibly, switching off at night and turning radiators off in unused rooms.
4 Using low temperature dishwasher and washing machine programmes.
5 Using rotary dryer instead of tumble dryers whenever possible.
6 Organising waste efficiently to separate glass bottles and paper for recycling.
7 Switching TVs and DVD players off, not leaving on standby.
8 Consider a car free day; spend it here enjoying the peace, wildlife and other facilities, or ask us at reception for other car free ideas.
9 Shop local at the great and passionate food retailers and producers we suggest in the Information pack.
10 If you have booked with us, you are already making a real contribution - thank you! The money you pay for your holiday finances our conservation work.
Currently we use 1.4 million litres of water, 262,700 kWh of electricity and 8,000 cubic meters of water each year. Please help us to reduce these enormous figures! Thank you